Nerima is great place to live in if you enjoy a slow-paced, relaxed lifestyle while still being close to central city.
This is the home to many Japanese animation production studios. It is known to be the birthplace of one of the first Japanese animated series such as Doraemon and Ranma ½. The life here is much calmer with high resident satisfaction.
With that reason, there isn’t much nightlife. But you can take a short 20 minute train ride to major station such as Ikebukuro and Shibuya for entertainment and nightclubs.
This ward is unique for its supermarket vending machines. If you miss the operating hours of your local supermarket, you can head to these vending machines to get your grocery done.
Chihiro Art Musem
The Chihiro Art Museum is one of the world’s largest collection of picture books and visiting this museum will make you reminisce your youth.
Shakujii Park is a great place to hang out as well and walk around to admire rare birds and the two large ponds.
Toshimaen Amusement Park
As one of Japan’s largest amusement park, Toshimaen Amusement Park is not a disappointment. It has over 30 rides and a water park that attracts both adults, kids, and families to come and play.
Living in Nerima
It is mainly a residential ward with few shopping centers. Although the area is not a tourist destination, it is a great place if you are planning to stay long term in Japan. However, if you want to be close to shopping malls and restaurants, consider living close to Nerima Station. It’s a place great for families and a center of anime pop culture.
The ward is served by four railway companies and eight railway lines. Four of which are owned by Seibu Railway; Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Toshima, and Yurakucho. There are two lines from the Tokyo Metro; Yurakucho and Fukutoshin. The Tokyo Metro Oedo line also serves five stations in Nerima. Lastly, there is the Tobu Toju Line. The major station in Nerima is Nerima Station.
Points of Interest
- Chihiro Art Museum
- Heisei Tsutsuji Park
- Hikarigaoka Park
- Japan Ground Defence Force PR center
- Musashiseki Park
- Nerima City Office Observation Lobby
- Nerima Art Museum
- Shakujii Park
- Toei Animation Gallery
- Toshimaen Amusement Park
- Toshimaen Niwa no Yu
Local Japan: Living in Southwest Nerima
- Cool Down at Toshimaen Amusement Park – https://savvytokyo.com/cool-down-at-toshimaen-amusement-park/
- Shakujii Park: A Tranquil Sanctuary Within Tokyo – http://jpninfo.com/42534
- Toei Animation Opening Anime Museum In Tokyo – https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/07/25/toei-animation-museum-anime-tokyo-japan/
- Chihiro Art Museum – https://chihiro.jp/en/tokyo/
- Hikarigaoka Park – http://www.kensetsu.metro.tokyo.jp/content/000007548.pdf
- JAPAN GROUND DEFENCE FORCE PR CENTER – https://www.odigo.jp/spots/4706-japan-ground-defence-force-pr-center